Saturday, November 28, 2015

Recognizing the Privilege that is Study Abroad

As a first generation college student, I never thought I would be able to afford college, let alone the University of Denver, that is until I was honored with the Daniels Fund scholarship in 2013, which completely changed my life. Because of the doors that have opened up the last two years, I have had the privilege of embarking on a new journey with my study abroad program in Costa Rica. Seeing as how my experience abroad is 3/4 over (though I'm trying not to think about that), I thought I'd reflect on the privileges that comes with studying abroad.


My First Times...

Growing up, I never imagined that I would make it out of Greeley, let alone the United States. Somehow, I did, and as a result, I got to experience so many firsts: 


First time stepping onto a beach and
 feeling the soft sand between my toes
First time seeing the deep blue ocean,
feeling the cool waves rush up
against my skin
First time taking a boat
through the open water,
without a care in the world,
enjoying the sun, the views,
and the breeze flowing
through my hair
First time canyoning











First time seeing a volcano
First time in a hammock.
And first hostel.

First time swimming in hot springs.
First waterfall














just to name a few....

Those firsts were unlike anything I have ever felt before (literally). The best first by far was seeing the ocean and feeling the sand for the first time. It's hard to explain my emotions as I felt the sand of the beach run between my toes and the crash of the waves upon my body as I made my way into the ocean for the first. Many children go to the beach when they're young, so they don't always have the memory of the first time they went. For others, it's so common for them to go to the beach that they don't have as much of the excitement each time they return. For me, being 21 years old and having just stepped foot on a beach for the first time two months ago, I was able to create a memory, filled with happiness and excitement and those rich sensations of touch, and I will be able to remember that moment vividly for the rest of my life.

With my first times comes some reflection and recognition that the fact that I have this opportunity is a privilege. Not many people get to study abroad, and many others don't get to have the first times that I was able to have during my time abroad. I am so thankful and have so much gratitude for everyone that has helped to get me here.

From the university ranked #1 in the nation...

I am also very privileged to be attending the University of Denver. DU ranks number one in the nation for its study abroad program. They highly encourage students to go abroad, making it a requirement of some majors and minors. With that push comes much assistance. DU is a direct bill institution with its various partner institutions, meaning you pay DU and they pay your study abroad program. It's a very streamlined process. Along with that, all DU aid, federal and state financial aid, and most private scholarships can be used to pay for study abroad. Along with that, if you have a 3.0 or above, DU will award you something called Cherrington Global Scholars. That funding reimburses you for your plane ticket and visa fees, and pays for all your application materials. It's pretty fantastic. For me, study abroad, at least the ability to participate, was basically free with all of my aid covering everything. Obviously travel and meals and all that is on my own, but not having to pay to go abroad and getting my money back from my plane ticket is amazing, and I am so thankful for that.

I am so thankful for all of that assistance, especially since so many students at other universities that do get the chance to study abroad don't have that. At other universities, study abroad offices are often small, students many not be able to use their financial aid, and nowhere else (that I've seen so far) has anything remotely similar to Cherrington Global Scholars. Other universities also don't have such an extensive application process that involves attending regional and general study abroad sessions. When I have told people I've met here how many students study abroad at my university (over 80%), they always have the same reaction: shock. They become even more shocked when I tell them about Cherrington Global Scholars. I am so grateful for the support given to me by DU and the Daniels Fund in order to pursue this opportunity, because for those that do get the opportunity, they often don't have such amazing support.

Daily Gratitude

Though I've probably experienced 500+ emotions during my time abroad, the one that is more poignant and the one I feel the most is gratitude. It's something I feel every day and take some time to reflect on every day.

Thank you to my teachers who always pushed me and never gave up on me. You always told me that I could reach whatever goal I set for myself, that I could rise above everything that has happened in my life and have a bright future. You told me that I needed to get out of Greeley and shoot for the stars. You told me that I could do whatever I set my mind to, and that I could be anything I wanted to be. You said that there were no limits. Thank you for that.

Thank you to my family and friends for being there, and everyone else I've met along the way. Without your support and encouragement, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Thank you to DU for working with me to make it possible for me to go on this journey. Without the Cherrington Global Scholar benefits and the transferring of all of my merit and need based aid, I would not be able to afford to go abroad. Also, thanks to OIE for all the support and help getting to this point.

Thank you so much to the Daniels Fund which has provided much much more than financial support. The Daniels Fund Scholarship is much more than a scholarship; it is a gift that keeps on giving. Thank you for the financial support that has allowed me to go to college, to go to DU specifically, and to study abroad. Thank you for the other types of support that have allowed me to stay afloat in college (I'm looking at you Laura!). Thank you for taking a chance on me in hopes that one day, I will go out there and change the world. I can never express just how much gratitude I have for that organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment